In Spain, according to Statista and data collected up to 2020, there are about 7 million dogs. In fact, arguably there are more households with dogs than with children. However, there are many things about these furry that we still do not know, such as, what are the things that dogs are prohibited from eating? It often happens that we give them many things that cause indigestion or even poisoning and this causes vomiting and diarrhea. This can be one of several causes why a dog vomits and does not want to eat. Here we explain the reasons.
Why won’t my dog eat?
According to Animal Expert, there are different situations in which a dog does not want to eat, and therefore, here we name those that they, as experts, mention. First of all, you have to consider if it is something punctual. The dog can suffer specific digestive discomforts, which remit in 24 or 48 hours and therefore are not usually serious. But nevertheless, if the dog does not eat and also vomits, you have to go to a vet. Above all, watch for other possible symptoms, such as fever.
Why is my dog vomiting?
With regard to vomiting, we already know that you have to go to the vet. However, we anticipate possible causes for these digestive problems here:
- Intestinal parasites. It is important to correctly follow the guidelines for internal deworming of dogs. This has to be at least every three months.
- Poisoning. We cannot trust anything our dog eats on the street. You have to observe him very well, since he can be intoxicated.
- Gastric torsion. In this case we are faced with a very serious pathology in which the dog will have to be operated on, and therefore, the sooner we go to the vet, the better.
- Diseases infections. In this case, we must take into account diseases such as parvovirus or distemper, infections against which the dog should be vaccinated.
- Gastroenteritis. In this case, we find a virus that normally resolves only in 24-48 hours with fasting and hydration with serum.
- Pancreatitis. This causes vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and loss of appetite.
- Ingestion of foreign bodies. In this case, you have to be very careful. Surgical intervention may be necessary, at least an endoscope extraction.
- Food allergies Like people, dogs can be allergic or intolerant to certain foods, such as cereals or dairy.
- Motion sickness In many cases, dogs get dizzy in the car and vomit. In these cases, we can resort to a medication that the vet recommends.
- Other internal organ problems.
What do I do if my dog does not want to eat and vomits?
It is the veterinarian’s task to identify the reason (among all those presented) that is causing intestinal problems in our furry. However, as a general recommendation it is important take food from the dog, that is, make him fast. You also have to observe how is vomit: if it is yellow, white, if it carries blood … All this information will have to be given to the professional. What’s more, if your dog has ingested foreign bodies, You must go urgently to have your dog perform a stomach wash.
You may also like…
- The best dogs for people who live alone
- The most intelligent dog breeds
- Dog breeds that do not shed hair
Follow the topics that interest you