What is a tea cake? A tea paste is considered to be those small pieces typical of the artisan pastry which is served together with a cup of tea or coffee. The variety can be infinite because there are many ways to make tea paste, both due to the type of dough used and the shape, composition, finish… Well, any variety and format of tea paste can be chosen to become the best of the contest that has already opened its call for this 2022.
We are talking about the fifth edition of the Best Artisan Tea Pasta Award in Spain organized by Duylcypas, the magazine for professionals in pastry, bakery, confectionery and related industries, and whose purpose is to highlight one of the most emblematic pastry specialties, as well as to claim the importance of craftsmanship in the profession and in the pastry business in general.
Well, the Best Artisan Tea Pasta Award in Spain 2022 will be held in Asturias on March 11, and the call is open until February 20. The first step to register for this contest is to send an email to [email protected] or a WhatsApp to the phone number 690217824 indicating “I want to participate”. Then it will be necessary to choose one of the three options to present the tea biscuits to the contest.
But first we are going to know other important details, and they are the Characteristics of tea cakes that are submitted to the competition, because although all formats and varieties are admitted, it is required that they be well preserved at room temperature for a minimum of 72 hours. It should also be borne in mind that each tea cake must have a maximum weight of 30 grams, and that they cannot bear any inscription, logo or serigraphy that could give away to the jury who the creator of the tea cake is.
The call is open to all bakery and pastry establishments with point of sale to the public, which are in Spain. Only one tea cake can be presented per establishment, and a minimum of 25 equal units must be prepared. In addition to sending the recipe and the registration form, there are three ways to send the tea biscuits, which must be perfectly packed and protected, to the organization, as we have mentioned before, and they are the following:
• Send them directly to the place where the contest is held so that they arrive before 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 10, 2022.
• Deliver them directly to the contest venue before 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 10, 2022.
• Prepare them so that the Dulcypas collection service (free of charge) handles the shipment directly. In this case, Dulcypas will propose the day and time slot for the collection of the tea biscuits at your own establishment. (Service available for the Peninsula, the Balearic Islands. For the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla consult special participation conditions).
On the same Thursday, March 10, the technical jury will hold a first evaluation and will select 25-30 finalists. And on Friday, March 11, the final jury will meet to carry out the tasting and assess the taste, texture, appearance and commercial sense, as well as the quality of the raw materials and ingredients used, and the originality of the creation.
the pageant Best Tea Pasta in Spain 2022 establishes three awards, the Absolute Prize ‘Best Artisan Tea Pasta in Spain 2022’, the ‘Best Artisan Tea Pasta 2022 Award in each Autonomous Community’, and a special mention ‘Best Tea Pasta in Spain 2022 Finalist’, below we detail what Check out each award.
• Absolute award “Best Artisan Tea Pasta in Spain 2022”, to the tea paste that adds the most points in the jury’s evaluation. The winner will receive a trophy that will accredit him as the winner of this contest and a badge with the legend “Best Tea Pasta in Spain 2022” that he can display in his establishment and in his communications. In addition, you will enjoy a free subscription to DPAS magazine for two years.
• Award “Best Artisan Tea Pasta 2022 of each Autonomous Community”, to the tea paste that adds the most points among the participants of that autonomous community. These regional awards will only be effective and public in those autonomous communities in which there is a sufficient minimum number of participating establishments. The winners in each Autonomous Community will receive a Diploma with the legend “Best Tea Pasta in the corresponding Autonomous Community 2022”, which they can display in their establishment and in their communications.
• Special Mention with the legend “Finalist Best Tea Pasta in Spain 2022” to the tea biscuits that qualify for the final on March 11. The finalist participants will be able to display this distinction in their establishments and in their communications.
If you want to participate, you can read the competition rules and access the registration form through the organization’s website, click here. We take this opportunity to remind you who are the pastry chefs and bakers who have so far held the title for creating the Best Artisan Tea Pasta in Spain, Eric Ortuño from L’Atelier de Barcelona has won twice, in the first edition that was in 2015 and in 2020, which was the last one held. The second edition, in 2016, was won by Abraham Balaguer from Rocambolesc, and in 2018 it was Lluís Costa, master pastry chef and chocolatier from Vallflorida Xocolaters.